Some people think the law God writes on our hearts is the Ten Commandments. If that were true, you ought to be able to list all 10 no problem. Can you? What is the eighth commandment?
God has written a better law on our hearts than the old law of Moses. Here are 10 reasons why it's not the 10 Commandments:
1. The law inflames sin (Rom 5:20) and the strength of sin is the law (1 Cor 15:56). Why would God want to stir up sin in your life?
2. The law condemns (2 Cor 3:9), yet there is no condemnation to those in Christ.
3. The law ministers death (2 Cor 3:7), but God wants you to enjoy abundant life.
4. Law and grace don’t mix. You are under grace, not law (Rom 6:14).
5. Living by the law is cheating on Jesus (Rom 7). Why would God do anything to encourage spiritual adultery?
6. We’re to live by faith and the law is not of faith (Gal 3:12). The law encourages us to depend on ourselves instead of Jesus.
7. Those who live under the law are under a curse (Gal 3:10). Why would God curse those he has blessed?
8. The law binds and enslaves (Rom 7:6), but Jesus wants you free.
9. The law keeps you immature for it makes nothing perfect or complete (Heb 7:19).
10. When there has been a change of priesthood, the law must be changed also (Heb 7:12). For God to write the old law on our hearts would be like saying Aaron is greater than Jesus.
The law is a shadow of the good things to come and not the reality (Heb 10:1). Why would God give you the shadow instead of “the good thing”? God has not written an old law on your new heart, but a new law – a law of love and perfect liberty.
It is the law of the Spirit of life.
It is Jesus.
~ Paul Ellis
About this blog:
These are articles that I find of interest.